Failing to stop after an accident is a criminal offence. If you’re the victim, it’s also distressing and could end up costing you a lot of money. If you or anyone else are hurt, you must call the appropriate emergency services, otherwise, report the incident to the police, who will give you a crime reference number. You should then contact your insurer, who will tell you what to do after a hit and run accident. We would advise contacting your insurer within 24 hours of the accident, even in if you don’t intend to make a claim on your policy.

There are two ways of making a claim:-

1.    Making a claim on your insurance

You can choose to claim through your insurer if you have fully comprehensive insurance, however, this may affect your no claims discount, and it may involve a large excess. Your insurer will need to know the police crime number, as well as the keys facts about the accident such as the:

  • Other vehicle’s registration number, or the make and model
  • Names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses
  • Copies of any photographs of the accident location if possible

2.    Making a claim via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)

If your insurance cover level is too low to claim on i.e. Fire and Theft, you can try to make a claim using the MIB. The Motor Insurer’s Bureau is a not-for-profit organisation funded by the entire UK insurance industry, Its purpose is to compensate victims where the ‘other driver’ was uninsured, or following a hit and run accident.

In order to make a claim against the MIB, you need to prove:

  • The driver of the vehicle that failed to stop was negligent
  • Injury to you or your passengers, or damage to your vehicle or caused by your vehicle as a result of the accident, actually did occur as a result of this negligence.

The MIB will meet repair costs only if the offending vehicle is subsequently identified or traced so it’s important to take statements and details from anyone who saw what happened. For more information visit the MIB website at

Call 0161 402 0213

For a Free no obligation consultation

Does this look like

something you need help with?

Get in touch for FREE advice

Request An Appointment

We would love to help


Copyright © 2017 - Ten Legal Solicitors - All Rights Reserved - Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No 618333